The Show So Nice I Saw it Twice



My latest out-of-hand obsession is the Broadway show 'Spring Awakening.' The tour was in Austin the week before last, and when a friend told me she had an extra ticket, I jumped at the chance to get in on the action! I didn't know much about the show except that Rachel from Glee (Lea Michelle) originated the female lead.
Needless to say, the show blew me out of the water. First of all, I had a nice high-school throwback with Craig from Degrassi* (Jake Epstein) as Melchior, the male lead. The music, lyrics, songs, acting, costumes, set: EVERYTHING was amazing. The musical tells the story of a group of teenagers living in a culturally-repressive 19th c. Germany, as they discover sex, life, love and death. All of the cast-members were about my age, which made me feel like a WORTHLESS turd, but was also TOTALLY AWESOME... and that Hanschen, what a babe!

After I saw it on Friday, I couldn't help but pick up some last minute tickets for the final Austin show on Sunday night. Hallie and I sat THIRD ROW CENTER (and for only $65!). Loved it even more the second time around, and can't stop listening to the soundtrack.

The tour ends in May 2010 and the show left Broadway last year, so if you haven't seen it yet, I would try to catch it: Spring Awakening Tour.

* The best Canadian teen soap opera of ALL TIME (Kanye said so)

1 comments:

Lin Z said...

I saw Spring Awakening when it was in LA and I had no idea what the musical was going to be about but I sure learned fast!!! I actually enjoyed the acting and minimalist stage more so than the story. In fact, I can't really remember the story that well and I only saw it last year. I do remember the masturbating, discovering of sex, and that guy's really cool mohawk type hair style which was super awesome. I don't know if the show here is the same as it is in Austin but the entire show took place with one set background that looked like a tiled floor and it was really gorgeous. And I completely agree that seeing kids younger than me in the show makes me feel like a real unproductive loser! In the performance I saw one of the guys from Lost was in it but I can't remember. I would have loved seeing Craig from Degrassi in it! Oh Degrassi...

Post a Comment

top